USA (U19) Gold!!!
Today UConn So. C Stefanie Dolson and Fr. W Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis each scored a game-high 15 points to lead Team USA to a 69-46 victory over Spain in the gold medal game of the FIBA U19 World Championship, which was played in Puerto Montt, Chile. Dolson and UConn So. G Bria Hartley have now won two gold medals (2010 U18 World Championship) while Mosqueda-Lewis has now won three (2010 U17, 2009 U16). Mosqueda-Lewis was 6-of-11 from the floor and 3-of-6 from long-range. She also snared eight rebounds and dished-out four assists for the red, white and blue. Dolson rounded out a solid tournament with a 5-of-8 performance from the floor and made five of her six free throw attempts. Hartley came into the game as the team’s leading scorer, but scored only three points to go along with three assists. UConn commit F Breanna Stewart led the U.S. in scoring (11.2ppg) and rebounding (7.3rpg) for the tournament and was named to the 2011 U19 World Championship All-Tournament Team. UConn commit F Morgan Tuck was also on the USA squad.
Here is how all 5 faired in the tournament overall (9 games):
* Stewart started 3 games and led the U.S. in scoring (11.2), rebounding (7.3), and blocks (1.7) and averaged 19.9 minutes.
* Hartley started all 9 games and was second on the team in scoring (11.1) and assists (3.2) and averaged 3.1 rebounds and a team-high 1.9 steals in team-high 24.8 minutes. She also shot team-high 43.2 percent (team-high 19-of-44) from 3-point range.
* Dolson started 6 games and averaged 9.2 points on 61.0 percent shooting from the field and 4.4 rebounds in 14.2 minutes.
* Mosqueda-Lewis started 2 games and averaged 7.9 points, 4.9 rebounds and 2.2 assists and was 15 of 42 from 3-pt range in 19.6 minutes.
* Tuck started 5 games and averaged 3.6 points and 2.4 rebounds in 14.1 minutes.